Thursday, July 28, 2005

Cherry Ice Cream Smile...




Okay - Let me start by saying that this post is related to sailing, because my friend Kelly (Shremshock, of Catalina-25 'Adventurous' fame) and I both became interested in sailing because of the RIO video! And furthermore, Simon Le Bon (meow!) is listed in Wikipedia in a "worldwide index of famous sailboat racers." Skeptics, see proof here . More sailing fun is at the end of this post too, after a bit of happy-drooly stuff, as follows:

So... Kelly and I went to see Duran Duran in concert in Dayton on Tuesday night!!! EEEK!!!!!! We had a BLAST!

It is a true fact that this show was even better than the show I saw in Columbus earlier this year, and fortunately I only lost my voice for three days this time. Although it was roughly NINETY DEGREES that evening, there was much dancing and hopping around taking place in our row. Awwwww-YEAH! Good stuff!

Let me say this... just for a second, I promise... Oh my gosh, they are still so adorable!!

I think they ROCK just as hard too - and perhaps even better - than they did back in the 80s. In one charming not-as-young-as-we-used-t0-be moment, Roger threw a drum stick up the air at the end of a song... but unfortunately he didn't stick the landing. It made me want to... you know.. just hold him. But then, later in the show he tried it again - but didn't toss it so high that time -and he caught it. YAY!!

Okay, so here's the coolest part - as it relates to sailing, at least: Simon LeBon sailed in this year's FastNet race! FastNet is one of the most important yacht races in the world. In 1985, Simon skippered DRUM. Her keel fell off during rough weather and she capsized, but fortunately the entire crew was rescued. For this year's FastNet, DRUM and most of her original crew were back together for the race. They did not win, unfortunately. Maybe next year!

In the meantime, I will daydream about seeing Duran Duran in concert again with Kelly someday... and I might also daydream about being Simon's galley slave.

No comments: