Saturday, April 05, 2008

2008 Sailing Goal

As a follow-up to my last post, it's time for me to establish my goals for the 2008 sailing season. I love to set goals, and I love to work to achieve them. It is so satisfying to check something off my list -- it's an endorphin rush, even! I've had plenty of training in how to set goals, too. Aside from being a natural-born, task-driven, compulsive list-maker, I am also a corporate 'droid. And every good corporate 'droid knows from all the delightful 'soft-skill' training courses presented at the 'droid's corporation that goals should be "S.M.A.R.T." -- Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Realistic, and Timely. So for this year's goals, I will strive to ensure that my goals are "S.M.A.R.T."

In anticipation of the start of the season, I've been giving careful thought to this topic, but I've been really struggling to come up with goals (aside from the obvious MOB carryover goal, which is more a 'requirement' for any sailor worth her salt more so than just a simple 'goal.') I'd like to singlehand my boat this season, yes, and I'm looking forward to sailing on Lake Erie this summer for sure. I'll have plenty of work to do as Fleet Captain this season, and that will provide many opportunities for sailing, cruising, racing, socializing, and for building my (currently meager) sailing skills. But in considering my options for prospective goals, I've really just come up dry. It's definitely not that I don't have tons more to learn about the sport. I think I've just reached a place of contentment -- in my sailing and in my life -- and I think that my '08 sailing goals should reflect that by being happy and fun instead of so focused and driven.

Therefore, I've decided that my single sailing goal of the 2008 season is:

Heave-to in the very center of the lake in order to kiss a boy.

Since I'm a good corporate 'droid, I tested this goal against the S.M.A.R.T. criteria to make sure that it's a "good goal." Here's how things shook out:

Specific - As I initially wrote down my goal I decided that it wasn't quite specific enough, so I added the criteria that I heave-to in the very center of the lake. This seems pretty specific, right? If after heaving-to and kissing the boy, I determine that we're not in the very center of the lake, it would be necessary to move the boat to the very center of the lake, heave-to again, and then kiss the boy again. When hove-to in a breeze, the boat tends to drift somewhat, so it might definitely be necessary to repeat the procedure several times to ensure the attainment of this very specific goal. This seems very reasonable to me.

Measurable - Heaving-to is a specific sailing maneuver. When hove-to, the boat stops making forward progress. This means it will be fairly easy to determine if the boat is properly hove-to. And as for the kiss, I hope that it will measure quite high in terms of the 'swoon factor.'

Attainable - This goal is admittedly something of a 'stretch goal,' considering my high degree of shyness when it comes to boys and all. But it's an important goal, and achieving the goal will be a reward in itself! (blush)

Realistic - I'm not saying that I have a plan for how I will achieve my goal, but I do believe that it is realistic.

Timely - Well, my season will start on April 12th, and my boat must be out of her dock by October 31st. The timeframe is limited, and the clock is ticking. (Sigh - and in more ways than one.)

In order to keep my goal always in sight, I have created a "2008 Sailing Goal" section along the right side of my blog. When you, my faithful readers (all both of you), see that my goal has been 'struck through' on the list, you'll know that I've been out on the lake kissin' a boy.

8 comments:

bonnie said...

I hope you achieve your goal someday.

I haven't hove-to to kiss a boy yet but me & my guy I do like to practice our hanging draws at least once or twice during any paddle where we're on our own.

Hanging draw being a nifty little move that makes a moving kayak do a graceful sideslip. A useful move for avoiding rocks, or approaching docks or other kayaks...

Or at least I like to practice, and he, being a gentleman, puts up with my shenanigans!
....O
;D/>
.O

Christy ~ Central Air said...

Thanks, Bonnie!

I'm eternally hopeful, but it's nearly halfway through the season and I haven't had the opportunity to have as much as a *handshake* while hove-to!

Your sideslip maneuver sounds like fun! I admire your mad kayaking skillz. I took a kayaking class several years ago, before I got bit by the saiing bug. I enjoyed it thoroughly... until we got to the part where the 'wet exit' skill was introduced. Being upside-down, underwater, wedged into a kayak and connected to it by a watertight 'skirt' did not meet my needs... my need to be able to 'breathe on demand,' specifically. I love me some breathing. ;-)

Thanks for the comment!
~Christy~

Anonymous said...

Hi Christy,

Having browsed your blog previously, and having recently been in contact with you over the recent C-18 boat for sale on e-bay, I do feel we have already established some professional sailing rapport.

Therefore, I offer my services in order to assist you in achieving this splendid sailing goal of year 2008. I think if I, also, list it in my goal list, we should be double joyful.

Time to hove-to ???? ;)

Don
Northern California

Christy ~ Central Air said...

Don, what a lovely offer! And here I was, ready to delete my 2008 sailing goal due to lack of interest. Thank you!

The O'Sheas said...

Success? I see underling, but not strike-through-edness. Fingers crossed!

Capt Don said...

Well it's probably the end of the sailing season for you. I've visited your site several times and wondered if you made your 2008 goal to heave-to and kiss a boy?

Capt Don, Capri-18 #508
"Quality Time II"
San Diego, CA

Christy ~ Central Air said...

I am so very sad to report that I did not achieve my goal. Perhaps next season will be a better year for mid-lake make-out.

2008 Sailing Goal Update

Authur said...

Hi Christy,

I think this is the best season to achieve your sailing goal. :)