Sunday, September 03, 2006

The Fabulous First Voyage of Central Air 2

Some time has passed between my first sail on CA2 and the day that I’m writing this entry, so a lot of the details have faded away into this summer full of new adventures and happy memories. I couldn't *not* commemorate this special event, though, so here are some of the highlights that I recall from my first sail on my new boat. I remember...

  • Being thrilled that Ben, Kelly, and Mikie were all on board for my first sail.
  • Being so thankful to God for the amazing blessing and privilege of owning and skippering my ‘dream boat’ – a Capri 18!! I’m not worthy! I'm not worthy!
  • Struggling to beat the band to get the boat out of the slip and headed out to the channel. (Man, driving in reverse is kind of a hassle. Note to self: Stop over-thinking the use of the outboard, you moron!)
  • Ben raising the main and Mikie instructing me in how to turn off the outboard (Pull the clip off, and then put it right back on!!)… and then experiencing the first moments of blissful quiet as the wind filled our sails and my boat and I sailed together for the first time.
  • Kelly unfurling the jib (LOVE that roller furling!!) and then wondering aloud where the rest of the jib was! (It’s a 110… not much larger than your average toga – tee hee.)
  • Did I mention how thankful and humbled I am by this whole thing?! WOWEE!

My first sail on Central Air 2 would not have been possible without the help of the following people. THANK YOU! THANK YOU! and THANK YOU!

  • Mikie Gray, our wonderful Commodore, who sort of ‘brokered’ my purchase of CA2, and who also rigged and launched her and has offered to give me sailing lessons on her! All I had to do was show up and start sailing - good grief!! Mikie – you’re the best of the best!!
  • Russ Savage, who I haven’t yet actually met, but who helped to rig and launch her. Thanks, Russ! You’re my hero!
  • Paul Cunningham, another rigging/launching angel and an all-around wonderful guy who does a lot for our club members, always with enthusiasm and a can-do attitude.
  • Norm Dunwoodie, another rigging/launching angel who always has a smile and a kind word (and a lot of very nice shirts with sailboats on them, I’ve noticed!)
  • Ben and Kelly Shremshock – My dear friends have provided a seemingly endless supply of sailing knowledge, good advice, technical assistance, stimulating conversation, high quality sing-a-longs, super-high-quality dog grooming services, and so much fun and happiness that I can hardly stand it.

No comments: